Countdown!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Remembering Leyna


Last Thursday was Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. Families all over the globe were encouraged to light a candle, say a prayer, or anything else that would commemorate the special child that was lost. Kurt and I lit a candle and made a small memorial for our sweet baby girl Leyna lost last year on November 22, 2008. Leyna passed away in utero during my pregnancy and I delivered her at 8:30pm that chilly November day. I took a picture of the memorial we made. In addition to the candle we lit for her, the memorial had a UGA onesie we bought when we found out we were pregnant, an ultrasound of Leyna, a blanket and hat knitted for her by the nurses in the hospital, a pretend birth certificate the nurses made (because you don't get a real one if your baby is not born alive), and the hospital bracelets she and I would have worn. The 2 little black smudges on the certificate are her very tiny footprints. Kurt and I had not looked at these things in nearly a year. I was surprised by how just seeing them again could bring back those old memories and feelings. I thought I had grieved and healed most of these feelings. But there they were all fresh and new. I felt transported back in time. But although this memorial brought with it lots of tears, I was glad we did it. We love and miss you Leyna. We will never, ever, ever forget you.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Memorial. The loss of a child no matter what age and size is the hardest thing anyone will ever go through. I'm sorry for your loss. May angels hold her close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post... Leyna is surely looking down on you both now, and loving that she has three very busy siblings on the way! I think of Leyna often. We can never know the huge loss you both have suffered...but we think of you often, and know that Leyna is looking down on her family every day, and cannot wait to see her sister Sarah! Sweet baby Koenig girls. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and the sweet boys, of course... didn't mean to leave them out.... more of a female comraderie, I was looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leyna is cheering on Sara, Jake and Luke. I am so excited these 3 little souls decided to be born together. Awesome miracle.

    ReplyDelete