Countdown!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, July 3, 2011

2 Years Ago Today...

Many people have heard this story before but I thought everyone might enjoy the recap.  Two years ago today I went to the OB for my very first ultrasound with that pregnancy.  I had taken a pregnancy test a few weeks earlier and knew we had a little one on the way.  No one could have prepared me for the news I got that day!  Kurt couldn't get off work as it was the Thursday before the July 4th weekend and too many people were already off work.  So my friend Gina volunteered to go with me and be my support.  I was very nervous to go as the last time I was pregnant, my ultrasound had gone horribly wrong.  But I showed up at my appointment on time. I was a ball of nerves pacing that waiting room. 

They were behind schedule with patients so it took nearly an hour before I was seen.  Luba the ultrasound tech started the scan and instantly became very quiet.  That made me even more nervous as that is often a sign of a problem.  Then she asked me "well how many did you want?".  That was a very strange question to ask but when she turned the screen toward me I could see exactly what she meant.  There on the screen I saw 3 sacs with 3 little babies in them with 3 little beating hearts.  To say I was shocked is the understatement of the year!  A million emotions flooded me all at once.  I didn't know how to react.  I was scared, excited, afraid, happy and more all rolled into one.

While I was still sitting in the exam room, my mom called me on my cell phone.  She was sure my appointment would be over by then (as they had been an hour late getting me in) and wanted to see how everything had gone.  I was too surprised to even tell her the news.  I had to call her back.  I had no idea how to tell Kurt the news and didn't want to tell him over the phone but after a few hours he called me.  He was concerned he hadn't heard anything about the appointment.  So I had to tell him over the phone.  He was also very surprised but less scared than me.  His confidence throughout the first few months of the pregnancy helped me so much.  I needed someone to believe we could actually do this.  He believed in me when I couldn't even believe in myself. 

So today on the 2 year anniversary of the news that forever changed our lives, I want to thank God for blessing us with these 3 amazing gifts.  I want to thank our friends and family for supporting us every step of the way.  And I want to thank Kurt for being the glue that holds the chaos together! 

What I saw on the monitor that day- 07/02/09

1 comment:

  1. Even tho I was only blessed with 2 out of my pregnancy, Before I lost triplet c, I can completely relate to your over whelming feelings. I sat and cried like a child in the exam room. I felt like I couldn't move. I was so scared to tell anyone I was pregnant with Triplets, considering one is what we wanted. I also remember the over whelming feeling of loss when we didn't have 3 heartbeats at 14 weeks. I know that we are never given more than we can handle and it takes very special women to live a life we mom's of multiples live ( and Dad's).

    My heart still aches for baby C. Your so blessed Kelly

    ReplyDelete